Here you go:
Prep for 45 minutes
Bake for 30 minutes
Ready in 1 ½ hours
Serves 3-4 people
It’s Vegan! ✌🏻
- Baby Bella Mushrooms (one large container)
- Yellow Onion (1 or 2)
- Bell Peppers (2)
- Green Onions (1 bundle)
- Tricolor Rotini noodles
- Veggie Broth
- Plain Almond Milk
- Olive oil
- Plant-based butter
- Lemon juice
- Minced Garlic
- Black Pepper
- Lemon Pepper
- Onion Powder
- Nutritional Yeast
- Preheat your oven to 400F
- Boil a large pot of water, with a light addition of some salt and a little olive oil.
- While the water is heating, begin to melt several tablespoons of plant based butter in a medium frying pan on low heat.
- Chop up your large yellow onion(s) and add ‘em to the pan with melted butter, along with a small amount of olive oil and a conservative amount of sugar and lemon juice.
- Your water is probably boiling, so you can put in your noodles and let them cook according to the box instructions.
- Slice all your baby bella mushrooms into as large of chunks as you desire, and then add the sliced mushrooms to your simmering onions, and keep the pan on low heat (but feel free to turn it up just a little, if you’d like.)
- Add lemon juice, salt, minced garlic and black pepper to the onion and mushrooms & cover the pan with a lid; allow them to sauté on medium-low heat.
- Strain the noodles when they have finished boiling, and coat them lightly with a blend of olive oil & lemon juice, then set them aside.
- Chop your bell peppers and green onion into small pieces, and include them in your pan with the other veggies.
- Take a moment to notice how the mushrooms and other vegetables have hopefully started to release their natural juices and will continue to become more flavorful as the veggies continue to cook within it.
- Add a small amount of vegetable broth (about ¼ cup) and an equal amount of almond milk, and incorporate.
- While it’s all cookin’, if you decide you’d like the stalk to be a little thicker, you can choose to add very small spoonfuls of flour and mix the flour into the sauce very slowly— and cautiously! You can always add flour, but it’s much harder to take it back.
- Add the following seasonings to the veggie base, to taste: Salt, Black Pepper, Minced Garlic, Paprika, Lemon Pepper, Onion Powder and Nutritional Yeast.
- Combine your sauce and noodles into a large pot & stir!
- Add in as much vegan mozzarella as you’d like at this point, and incorporate.
- If needed, at your own discretion, you may add a little more equal parts veggie broth and almond milk, if it seems thicker than you’d like.
- Give it a taste! If it’s perfect, move on, but if it still isn’t punching ya, try adding more Nutritional Yeast, Garlic, Salt and/or Lemon Pepper. For more zest, add a little extra lemon juice.
- Place it all in a casserole dish, top with a thin layer of bread crumbs and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 400F for 25 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil, bake for another 5-10 minutes, and then remove from the oven & allow it a few minutes to cool.
- Serve it up!
~ Jessica G.