Vegan Eggplant Lasagna Rolls
Prep for 25 minutes
Bake for 30 minutes
Ready in 1 hour!
Serves 2-3 rolls per person
It’s Vegan! ✌🏻
- Eggplant (2)
- Asparagus (1 bunch)
- Mini Bell Peppers (a few of each color, ~6)
- Yellow Onion (2)
- Lasagna Noodles
- Pasta sauce
- Vegan mozzarella
- Bread crumbs
- Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
- Minced Garlic
- Onion Powder
- Cilantro with lime
- Nutritional Yeast
- Lemon Juice
- Preheat your oven to 425F
- Slice up your eggplants! Cut off the bottoms and tops, discard them, and then cut the bodies of the eggplant in two parts by cutting each in half.
- Slice the eggplant into many slices that are only ~¼” thick and remove the edges with skin.
- Once the eggplant slices are prepared, rinse each one under running cold water while using your fingertips to gently remove seeds and surface blemishes.
- Prepare a shallow pan or large bowl with cold water and generous amounts of salt and lemon juice, and allow the sliced eggplant to soak in this water blend while you get the other veggies ready.
- Slice bell peppers into equally sized chunks, also about a ¼” thick, and set aside.
- Cut off the tips and ends of the asparagus, and consider slicing each piece to be thinner if the stocks are thick. Continuing the ¼” theme, the asparagus should also be about that thick. However, the slices should still be as long as possible- ideally, the whole length of the stalk. If you’d like, you can cut each in half so they are not so long.
- Drain the water from the pan or bowl the eggplant has been in, keeping the eggplant in place, and once all the water is removed, place all of your vegetables into the same container.
- Mix in enough olive oil to generously coat each veggie piece, as well as liberal amounts of minced garlic (or garlic powder) and onion powder, as well as some black pepper. Incorporate the oil and spice blend evenly using your hands to mix, if you are able.
- Make sure each veggie slice is fully coated, and spread them thinly onto a greased baking sheet, leaving behind any excess oil so there is no sitting oil on the baking sheet.
- Shake some extra salt and garlic over the veggies, and put them in the oven for 10-15 minutes, flip them, and then have them cook for another 10 minutes or so until the veggie slices are golden or medium brown.
- While the veggies are roasting, boil a large pot of water with a little olive oil and salt, and when the water starts to boil, prepare the noodles per box instructions.
- Chop up your onions!
- When your noodles are done, strain and shock them.
- Pull your veggies out of the oven when they are done, and allow at least enough time to cool to let them crisp up a little.
- Lay out a large, flat, oiled surface and lay out each cooked noodle flat in a row.
- Sprinkle a little lemon juice over each noodle, and then make a thin layer of the following ingredients, from the noodle base, up:
- Pasta Sauce (seasoned to taste)
- Garlic and Nutritional Yeast
- Minced fresh yellow onion
- Vegan mozzarella
- Cilantro with Lime seasoning
- Roasted veggies, mixed
- Roll each noodle into a spiral roll, taking pauses to make sure they roll tightly!
- Place the rolls into a deep baking dish with about 1” of pasta sauce lining the bottom of the pan. Place them tightly against each other, so they can support each other in remaining in shape while cookin’.
- Pour a thin layer of any remaining sauce over the rolls, and top with any extra onion choppings you have left, as well as some garlic powder.
- Top with a thin but even layer of bread crumbs, seasoned or unseasoned is up to you. Some sprinkles of paprika at this stage can be added for (tasty) aesthetics.
- Cover with foil & bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Pull it out of the oven and let it cool for 3-4 minutes.
~ Jessica G.