Vegan Southern-Style Calabacitas
Prep for 35-40 minutes
Cook for 45 minutes
Ready in 2 hours
Serves 4-6 people
It’s Vegan! ✌🏻
- Yellow Squash (2)
- Zucchini (2)
- Onion (1)
- Carrot (1-2)
- Bell peppers (2)
- Cauliflower (¼ head)
- Broccoli (¼ head)
- Jalapeños (1-4)
- Cherry Tomatoes (handful)
- Canned Corn (1 can)
- Plant-Based Butter
- Shredded Plant-Based Cheddar (1 cup)
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Chili powder
- Cajun-Style Blackened Seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 400F
- Get ready to prepare a bunch of veggies – take a breath – and then wash and chop the yellow squash, zucchini, onion, carrots, bell peppers, cauliflower and broccoli.
- Now, in a large frying pan, melt a liberal amount of plant-based butter on low heat.
- Throw all those veggies in there!
- Add a bit of olive oil, as needed, as well as a dash or two of salt.
- Turn up the heat in your frying pan just a bit, and stir occasionally.
- Cover up your frying pan, and turn up to medium-low heat.
- While your veggies cook, take a moment to chop up your tomatoes, and as many jalapeños as you’d like– but at least one!
- Now, open up and drain one can of corn completely, take the lid off your pan, and add the corn, as well as the jalapeños and tomato.
- Stir everything together, and turn down the heat on your pan significantly.
- To taste, season your vegetables with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and your favorite Southern-style heat-packed seasoning– personally, I used a Cajun-Inspired Blackened Seasoning blend.
- Now, drain any excess liquid that may have built-up in your frying pan, and turn off the heat source.
- Get together a ton (about a cup) of shredded plant-based cheddar, and fold the cheese into the veggies while they are still very hot, and get the shreds to melt fully into your vegetables.
- Finally, scoop everything into a greased baking dish, and top with a little extra black pepper!
- Cover your dish with aluminum foil, and let bake for 30 minutes while covered, and then an extra 15 minutes uncovered.
- When ready, pull out of the oven, and allow to settle and cool for at least ten minutes!
Thanks for reading!
~ Jessica G.